Monday, April 13, 2009

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos


Is something Miles has been repeating under his breath as he commits the order of the solar system to memory. And it brings to mind other fun little mnemonics from my own childhood: Roy G. Biv and Never Eat Soggy Waffles for the colors of the spectrum and the 4 directions. Do any of you remember others?

This week I have needed all kinds of memory devices for things a lot less cosmic than these. I was flat on my back with a fever for most of the weekend, and when I emerged in phlegm glossed fashion it seemed that my brain would just never be mucus free enough to function in the way that makes Miles refer to me as his very educated mother. I might be able to russle up some nachos except for the fact that we have neither corn chips nor cheese in the larder, and I can't remember when I'll have time to go shopping again, let alone do half the things on my to do list before the sun goes down and I succumb to my exhaustion and the ocean of swirling phlegm in my sinus cavities, or are they planets? East or west? How many kids do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment